Friday, January 2, 2009

Anchorage!

I'm up in Anchorage now, after a week in southern VT with Ed doing some sharpening/tapering/resting/whatever you want to call it, the last week before nationals. We had a good time, but it was -10F at the new year's party, temperatures similar to AK right now. I guess I was prepping myself? I'm sitting here and its almost 9am and there is still no glimmer of a sunrise. How do people live here in the winter?

The flight from Boston to Portland OR was hellish, or would have been without my new noise-reduction headphones, it seems all the families with young children were traveling home from the holidays and they were all on my flight. Then, since I was on the same plane to Anchorage, they politely asked those of us not changing planes to stay on the plane for a quicker turn-around, and it felt a little like quarantine or jail or something. Just let me off the plane! Only twelve hours later, I was here. Woot.

Anyway, just a quick update on where in the world is Alex Jospe, and now shes off to wax some skis and check out the classic sprint course. Classic sprint is tomorrow! Provided they can hold it, the high is currently forecast at -5F, and the legal race temperature is anything above -4F.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

BRR! But good luck to you in your races!

Luke S said...

I bet someone will stick his hand on the thermometer long enough to get it up to -4, then show the race committee and go for it. Good luck!

Zoo said...

Good luck! Give 'em hell!!

Kris said...

at least you're not in fairbanks...

Alex said...

I'm not sure I could function if it were -44F. That is colder than the air temp at 38000 feet. Do you get frostbite instantly on any exposed skin? How does the UAF ski team train? Do they have indoor skiing or something?